Coloma in El Dorado County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Erected by Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Buildings • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
Location. 38° 48.005′ N, 120° 53.449′ W. Marker is in Coloma, California, in El Dorado County. Marker is on Highway 49 (Main Street), on the left when traveling north. Marker is located within the boundaries of the Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Coloma CA 95613, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Beer Garden (here, next to this marker); Site of Wintermantel’s Miner’s HotelSchulze House (a few steps from this marker); Site of Coloma’s Law Offices (within shouting distance of this marker); Metropolitan Saloon and Bowling Alley (within shouting distance of this marker); Weller House (within shouting distance of this marker); Monroe House (within shouting distance of this marker); Coloma Breweries (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coloma.
Regarding Winters’ Hotel. The Winter’s Hotel is reported to have been torn down about 1861-1862, and another hotel built in its place.
1. Coloma and the Winter's Hotel
During the early days of the Gold Rush, the new arrivals generally headed for Coloma, which resulted in the town’s rapid growth. Among the first businesses in town were Captain Shannon & Cady’s general store, S. S. Brook’s store, and John Little’s emporium which was located on the north side of the river. Saloons, gambling houses, restaurants, banks, stables, smithy, and gunsmith all soon followed. The first hotel was the Winters Hotel, operated by Messrs. Winters and Cromwell. A. J. Bayley ran the hotel’s bar. A post office was in operation by 1849, with John T. Little serving as the first postmaster. Early spellings such as “Colluma” and “Culoma” eventually gave way to “Coloma,” and when El Dorado County was created in 1850, Coloma was chosen as the county seat, over strong objections from the residents of nearby Placerville and Diamond Springs who thought their towns should have that honor.
The Winter’s Hotel is reported to have been torn down about 1861-1862, and another hotel built in its place.
— Submitted March 20, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.
Additional keywords. Gold Rush
Credits. This page was last revised on July 31, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 20, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 829 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 20, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.