Trinity Lutheran Church
Twelve people heard the Rev. C. G. Kuppler of Louisiana deliver the last German Lutheran sermon in this area in early 1899. The small group applied for a regular pastor; the Lutheran Mission Commission sent Dan Poelott, a theological student, who served about 6 months. In August 1899 Pastor Kuppler installed Concordia Seminary graduate H.C. Gaertner of New Orleans as pastor of the church in Port Arthur, and assigned him to minister to Lutherans in Beaumont and Orange as well.
The Port Arthur congregation established a church constitution in 1899 and incorporated as "The Evangelical Lutheran Trinity Congregation of the Unaltered Augsburg Confession" in 1901. The church and its school burned in 1902, but the congregation rebuilt by 1903. The church membership doubled in size and was self-supporting by 1904. The industrialization following the Spindletop oil boom and during World War I caused Port Arthur to grow rapidly.
A new building two miles from the old church was dedicated in 1924. The old structure became a mission, first attended by Trinity members who lived near the old site. It soon grew to become St. Paul Lutheran Church. Trinity
Trinity's school enrollment declined in the 1980s with the wane of Port Arthur's oil industry. The school closed in 1987, after 85 years of operation, but the church initiated new programs and remains active. Hoi Thanh Tin Lanh, a mission for the growing Vietnamese population, was established in 1991.
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11953.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 29° 53.233′ N, 93° 55.29′ W. Marker is in Port Arthur, Texas, in Jefferson County. Marker is on St. Augustine Avenue near Procter Street, on the right. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Arthur TX 77640, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Babe Didrikson Zaharias (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sparks Settlement Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Warne Gates (approx. ¼ mile away); Ellwood - Craig House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pompeiian Villa (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Old Aurora (approx. 0.4 miles away); Clubhouse of the Federated Women’s Clubs of Port Arthur
Credits. This page was last revised on April 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 30, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 30, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.