First National Bank Building
Founded on April 9, 1889, the First National Bank of Beaumont enjoyed an economic revitalization in the 1930s after the area's second major oil boom. A special meeting of the bank's board of directors was held on January 16, 1935, to discuss plans to erect a new building. Present at the meeting were board members W. C. Gilbert, P. B. Doty, E. E. Plumly, C. H. Cambers, T. F. Rothwell, J. S. Gordon, W. P. H. McFaddin, Dr. Tom Andrus, Stuart Smith, H. A. Dodd, J. H. Phelan, Robert Corley, C. E. Broussard, and T. S. Reed.
The two architectural firms of Steinman, Steinman, & Goldman and Stone & Pitts were chosen to design the new building, and the construction contract was awarded to the Knutson Construction Company. The bank moved into the building in February 1937, with armed guards employed to move the cash deposits.
Outstanding features of the art deco limestone and granite building include stepped-back massing and decorative friezes depicting various aspects of banking and such local industries as shipping, lumber, agriculture, and oil. The bank continued to operate in this building until 1963, when it moved to new facilities across
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1989
Incised on marker Marker Sponsored in 1988 by Joe H. Tonahill
Erected 1989 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10521.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 30° 4.965′ N, 94° 5.951′ W. Marker is in Beaumont, Texas, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Orleans Street near South Bowie Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 495 Orleans Street, Beaumont TX 77701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jefferson Theatre (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Noah Tevis (about 800 feet away); Tyrrell Public Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Henry Millard (approx. ¼ mile away); Beaumont (approx. ¼ mile away); Saint Anthony's Cathedral (approx. 0.3 miles away); Congregation Temple Emanuel (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jefferson County Courthouse (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beaumont.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 30, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 30, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.