White Springs in Hamilton County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Historic Architecture of White Springs
Early white settlers built log homes for their families. The first hotel was built of logs and accommodated visitors seeking the healing effect of the sulphurous waters. This first resort hotel was conveniently located near the spring, which was enclosed in a wooden structure facing the romantic Suwannee River.
Prosperity and sawmills brought wood frame structures, mostly built of native cypress and pine in the vernacular styles favored by builders of the area. Wide porches and verandas took advantage of gentle breezes coming from the shady streets. Homes raised on pilings afforded the maximum ventilation in the summer heat, as did central halls that encouraged drafts. Prominent citizens employed skilled builders with formal house plans to build suitable homes for their affluent lifestyles. The Camp house, built by timber baron Benjamin
Affluent citizens bankrolled the building of ever-grander hotels and commercial structures of bricks brought by rail from Georgia. Native limestone rock was used as a decorative element. Cement with coquina shell and granite aggregate was employed to build the foundation of the new Spring House in 1906.
Structures found in the White Springs Historic District are representative of the architectural styles popular over the years. Classical Revival, Bungalow, Queen Anne, Gothic Revival, Mediterranean Revival, “Cracker-Style” and other types of structures can all be found in White Springs.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1906.
Location. 30° 20.002′ N, 82° 45.681′ W. Marker is in White Springs, Florida, in Hamilton County. Marker is on Camp Street just west of Roberts Street (Florida Route 100) (U.S. 41), on the right when traveling west. Marker is mounted beside the sidewalk, directly in front of the Victorian mansion at the northwest corner of the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: White Springs FL 32096, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. White Sulphur Springs (approx. ¼ mile away); Agriculture Industry in White SpringsWelcome to the White Springs Historic District (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Residents of White Springs (approx. 0.3 miles away); Florida’s Original Tourist Destination (approx. 0.4 miles away); White Springs (approx. 0.4 miles away); Wars and Conflicts in White Springs (approx. 0.4 miles away); Florida Honors and Remembers our POW’s and MIA’s (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in White Springs.
Also see . . . White Springs Historic District (Wikipedia). The White Springs Historic District encompasses approximately 1,200 acres, and contains 81 historic buildings. National Register of Historic Places #97001143. (Submitted on May 1, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 30, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 53 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 30, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.