Minneapolis in Hennepin County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Milwaukee Road station agents affectionately referred to the quaint little Minnehaha Depot as "the Princess." Its delicate gingerbread architecture is reminiscent of the Victorian era when ladies in bustles and gentlemen in high collars traveled largely by train.
The first track connecting Minneapolis with Mendota was laid in 1865 by the Minnesota Central Railway, the predecessor of the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railway. The Princess was built in the mid-1870s to replace a smaller station here. Throngs of picnickers and sight-seers took the sixteen-minute ride from Minneapolis to Minnehaha Park and the old Longfellow Gardens Zoo, while others traveled to and from Fort Snelling and Mendota. In 1910 three trains made thirteen round trips daily to the depot. It was the scene of feverish activity during World War I and II because of the military traffic in and out of Fort Snelling.
The Milwaukee Road closed the station in August, 1963, and presented it to the Minnesota Historical Society in 1964. The Minnesota Transportation Museum, Inc., an affiliate of the society, has undertaken the restoration and maintenance
Erected 1969 by the Minnesota Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Minnesota Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1865.
Location. 44° 54.853′ N, 93° 12.674′ W. Marker is in Minneapolis, Minnesota, in Hennepin County. Marker is on Minnehaha Avenue south of East Minnehaha Parkway, on the right when traveling south. Marker is in Minnehaha Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4900 Minnehaha Avenue South, Minneapolis MN 55417, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Col. John H. Stevens (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gunnar Wennerberg (about 400 feet away); John Harrington Stevens House (about 400 feet away); President Lyndon B. Johnson (about 500 feet away); Geology of Minnesota (about 600 feet away); 3 – Master Map (about 700 feet away); 1–Main Entrance Minnehaha Lower Glen (about 700 feet away); Big Water / Stairway of Water (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Minneapolis.
Also see . . .
1. The Minnehaha Depot. "Formerly a bustling transportation hub, the Minnehaha Depot is located along modern day Highway 55 in South Minneapolis’ Minnehaha (Submitted on March 21, 2009.)
2. Princess Depot. "During the early 1900's, the depot handled as many as 39 roundtrips per day." (Submitted on March 21, 2009.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 21, 2009, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,487 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 21, 2009, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. 2. submitted on February 19, 2017, by Pat Filippone of Stockton, California. 3, 4. submitted on March 21, 2009, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.