Oklahoma City in Oklahoma County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
OU Health Sciences Center
The OU Health Sciences Center is the state's educational training facility for physicians, scientists, nurses, dentists, pharmacists, and public health and allied health professionals.
The center traces its origins to the beginning of the 20th century when pharmacy and medicine classes were first offered on the OU Norman campus. The first two years of medical instruction were conducted on the Norman campus, with third-and-fourth-year students and nursing students trained at the State University Hospital on Fourth Street and other Oklahoma City medical facilities.
Completed in 1919 at the corner of 13th and Phillips, University Hospital became the first building constructed on what would become the OU Health Sciences Center campus. In 1921, an adjacent School of Nursing Building was completed. Under the advocacy of Ponca City philanthropist Lew Wentz, the Hospital for Crippled Children became a reality in 1921. Also in 1928, the College of Medicine Building was completed across the street from University Hospital, and
The next great wave of university construction began in the late 1960s, under the leadership of College of Medicine Dean James L. Dennis, M.D.; Oklahoma civic leader Stanton L. Young; Department of Welfare director Lloyd Rader; Oklahoma oilman Dean A. McGee; and E.T. Dunlap, chancellor of the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education, who envisioned the university's role in creating a larger health center to serve the people of Oklahoma. Impetus for much growth was the 1968 HERO (Health and Education for a Richer Oklahoma) bond issue passed by the people of Oklahoma.
By the mid 1970s, the College of Pharmacy had moved to the Oklahoma City campus and the colleges of Allied Health, Public Health and Dentistry had been established.
As one of only four comprehensive academic health sciences centers in the nation to include seven professional schools, the OU Health Sciences Center has become the cornerstone of the Oklahoma Health Center.
The scientists, scholars and clinicians appointed to the OU Health Sciences Center faculty stand at the leading edge of their profession. They not only train the next generation of health-care providers and researchers, many are themselves practicing professionals actively involved in improving the lives and health of Oklahomans.
Erected by the University of Oklahoma.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Science & Medicine. A significant historical year for this entry is 1919.
Location. 35° 28.707′ N, 97° 29.6′ W. Marker is in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, in Oklahoma County. Marker is at the intersection of North Stonewall Avenue and NE 10th Street, in the median on North Stonewall Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1100 N Stonewall Ave, Oklahoma City OK 73117, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. OU College of Nursing (within shouting distance of this marker); David L. Boren Student Union (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Robert M. Bird Library and OU Graduate College (about 400 feet away); OU College of Pharmacy (about 500 feet away); Stanton L. Young Walk (about 500 feet away); The Peggy and Charles Stephenson Oklahoma Cancer Center (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lloyd E. Rader Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Payne Boomer Campsite (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oklahoma City.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 1, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 74 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 1, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.