Smithville in McCurtain County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
Formerly Hatobi (Man-Killer in Choctaw). Renamed in 1890 for pioneer Joshua Smith. Center of Choctaw settlement and activity in early period. Folsom Training School here 1921-33. Named for Choctaw minister Willis Folsom. W.B. Hubbell superintendent. Sealey Methodist chapel built on Folsom Campus 1925. Named for generous donor and former student Sealey Alexander. Salt lick in vicinity inspired name of Big Lick Presbyterian Church here since 1830's.
Erected 1995 by Oklahoma Historical Society. (Marker Number 208.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
Location. 34° 28.291′ N, 94° 39.269′ W. Marker is in Smithville, Oklahoma, in McCurtain County. Marker is on U.S. 259 one mile north of State Highway 4, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Smithville OK 74957, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. U.S. Highway 259 (approx.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 2, 2021, by Jason Armstrong of Talihina, OKlahoma. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on May 2, 2021, by Jason Armstrong of Talihina, OKlahoma. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?