Jacksonville in Duval County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Douglas Anderson School
In 1922, the Duval County Board of Public Instruction opened South Jacksonville School No.107, the only public school on the southside of Jacksonville for African-American children in grades one through nine. Spearheading the building of this school were black community leaders Douglas Anderson (1884-1936) and W.R. Thorpe (1893-1967). Anderson, a graduate of Tuskegee Institute, began the first free school bus transportation service for the school and was president of the Parent-Teachers Association. In 1945, the school board renamed the school the Douglas Anderson School. It became a high school in 1955 and quickly became an educational and cultural center for African-Americans from communities all over southeastern Duval County. Community involvement was the strength of the school. Even though high school enrollment never exceeded 400-500 students, they achieved prominence in academics, athletics, and the arts far beyond their numbers. Douglas Anderson School closed in 1968 as a result of school desegregation. Afterwards, it served as a campus for Florida Junior College, and a 7th grade center. It re-opened in 1985 as the Douglas Anderson
Erected 2010 by The Douglas Anderson Alumni Association, Faculty, Parents and Community Friends and The Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-687.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Arts, Letters, Music • Education.
Location. 30° 18.006′ N, 81° 38.318′ W. Marker is in Jacksonville, Florida, in Duval County. Marker is at the intersection of San Diego Road and White Avenue, on the right when traveling west on San Diego Road. Marker located in front of Douglas Anderson School of the Arts. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2445 San Diego Road, Jacksonville FL 32207, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Philips ~ Craig Swamp Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Philips Congregational Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Honor and Remembrance (approx. 0.7 miles away); Oriental Gardens (approx. ¾ mile away); Millers Creek (approx. ¾ mile away); San Marco (approx. one mile away); Villa Alexandria (approx. one mile away); South Jacksonville City Hall (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jacksonville.
Also see . . .
1. Douglas Anderson School of the Arts. Wikipedia (Submitted on May 3, 2021, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida.)
2. Douglas Anderson School of the Arts. Duval County Public Schools (Submitted on May 4, 2021.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 3, 2021, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 25 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 3, 2021, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.