Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Detroit in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Holy Family Church

 
 
Holy Family Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, May 3, 2021
1. Holy Family Church Marker
Inscription.  In the early twentieth century immigrants from southern Italy and Sicily settled in Detroit’s northeast side. They first worshipped in a chapel at Saints Peter and Paul Church. In 1907 Father Giovanni Boschi arrived in Detroit and began a campaign to build a church for the Italian community. In 1908, Bishop John S. Foley canonized the church and named it Holy Family. Completed in November 1910, the Italian Renaissance basilica was designed by Edward A. Schilling of Detroit.
 
Erected 1990 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1627.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureChurches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1910.
 
Location. 42° 20.071′ N, 83° 2.266′ W. Marker is in Detroit, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is on Chrysler Drive 0.1 miles south of East Lafayette Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 641 Chrysler Dr, Detroit MI 48226, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within
Holy Family Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, May 3, 2021
2. Holy Family Church Marker
Small adjacent cemetery to the east of marker.
Click or scan to see
this page online
walking distance of this marker. Church of Annunciation (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Frederick Douglass - John Brown Meeting (about 600 feet away); Detroit Cornice and Slate Building (about 700 feet away); Fannie Richards Homesite (about 700 feet away); St. Mary's Rectory (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Mary's Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); George DeBaptiste Homesite (approx. ¼ mile away); Second Baptist Church Underground Railroad Site (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Detroit.
 
Also see . . .  History of Holy Family Church. Excerpt:
A meeting was held on December 7, 1907 at S.S. Peter and Paul Church in which the following 30 men formed a committee in hopes of forming their own parish to build a church, at the same time they also formed the fraternal order of San Giuseppe.
(Submitted on May 4, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan.) 
 
Holy Family Church image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, May 3, 2021
3. Holy Family Church
Holy Family Church image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, May 3, 2021
4. Holy Family Church
100 year anniversary of dedication
Saints Peter and Paul Church image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, May 3, 2021
5. Saints Peter and Paul Church
Location where the Italian immigrants initially worshiped as mentioned on the marker. It is two blocks away from the current church.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 4, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 4, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=172521

Paid Advertisement
May. 8, 2021