Power To The People
Rural Electrification Act of 1936
1937, Feb. 10 - The Federated R.E.A. was incorporated forming together Butler, Franklin, Hardin, Grundy, Wright and Hancock Counties in Iowa. The Reeve power plant was built over the long, cold winter of 1937-38 by the Welden Brothers Construction Company of Iowa Falls.
1938, Mar. 23 - This plant became the first rural power plant west of the Mississippi River to energize the farmer owned lines.
Rural America was delivered out of darkness by the REA-Co-op Partnership. The rural farms powered by the electricity rapidly modernized their operations and lifestyles. Electric lights replaced lamps and lanterns. Appliances and machinery provided great labor savings and increased farm productivity. American industry grew stronger by manufacturing and selling more electric appliances and machinery to meet the needs of rural America.
Erected by Franklin County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this
Location. 42° 41.231′ N, 93° 14.001′ W. Marker is near Hampton, Iowa, in Franklin County. Marker is on 110th Street ¼ mile west of Olive Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1410 110th St, Hampton IA 50441, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Franklin County Pioneers (approx. 3½ miles away); The Old Stone House (approx. 3½ miles away); Coulter Freedom Rock Veterans Memorial (approx. 7.8 miles away); Ackley, Iowa Veterans Memorial (approx. 12.9 miles away); Ackley Freedom Rock Veterans Memorial (approx. 12.9 miles away).
Regarding Power To The People. This was the first rural cooperative electrical power generation station west of the Mississippi River. With the creation of the Rural Electrification Administration, the increase in farms with electricity went from 11% to over 77%.
The plant fell into disuse in 1950, but remained intact. It came into private hands and after most of the equipment was removed, it was turned over to the Franklin County Historical Society. Today, this important artifact in the history of rural electrification is a museum that, as of this writing, is only open by
Also see . . . Step inside Iowa’s REA Power Plant Museum. (Submitted on May 5, 2021.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 4, 2021, by Lugnuts of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on May 4, 2021, by Lugnuts of Germantown, Wisconsin. 2, 3. submitted on May 5, 2021, by Lugnuts of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.