Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Detroit in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Sweetest Heart of Mary Catholic Church

 
 
Sweetest Heart of Mary Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, May 5, 2021
1. Sweetest Heart of Mary Catholic Church Marker
Inscription.  During the late nineteenth century many Polish immigrants fleeing oppression came to Detroit. In 1886 a group of them organized the school that was the beginning of Sweetest Heart of Mary Parish. On December 8, 1888, the Reverend Dominic H. Kolasinski, former pastor and builder of neighboring St. Albertus Church, became their pastor without episcopal approval. Under his leadership, construction of this late Victorian Gothic church began in July 1890. On February 18, 1894, the parish officially became part of the Diocese of Detroit. The church’s windows, made by the Detroit Glass Works, won prizes at the 1893 Chicago Columbian Exposition. Its organ is one of the oldest Austin organs in existence. Its 217-foot spires house three large bells named St. Mary, St. Joseph, and St. Barbara.
 
Erected 1981 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L0334.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical date for this entry is February 18, 1894.
 
Location.
Sweetest Heart of Mary Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, May 5, 2021
2. Sweetest Heart of Mary Catholic Church Marker
Marker is in lower right portion of the church, behind the gate
Click or scan to see
this page online
42° 21.485′ N, 83° 2.885′ W. Marker is in Detroit, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of Russell Street and East Canfield Street, on the right when traveling north on Russell Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4440 Russell St, Detroit MI 48207, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Josaphat Roman Catholic Church Complex (approx. Ľ mile away); St. Albertus Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. half a mile away); Sacred Heart Parish (approx. half a mile away); Friendship Baptist Church (approx. half a mile away); Brewster Homes (approx. 0.6 miles away); Recreation Park (approx. 0.6 miles away); American Academy of Pediatrics (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Detroit.
 
Also see . . .  Sweetest Heart of Mary Church. Excerpt:
Father Kolasiński was the center of contention. He was removed from his pastorate and suspended from the priesthood on November 30, 1885, for a variety of alleged reasons. Riots and disturbances and mayhem followed. Young John Lewicki, 24, was killed in one such riot on Christmas Day of 1885.
(Submitted on May 6, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan.) 
 
Additional commentary.
1. Historic Place Added to the NRHP.
View of church from East Canfield Street. image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, May 5, 2021
3. View of church from East Canfield Street.
217 foot spires that house the 3 bells.

Added to the National Register of Historic Places on January 31, 1978.
    — Submitted May 6, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 6, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 6, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=172658

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 12, 2021