Palmyra in Portage County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Old Stagecoach Inn / Historic Palmyra Center
Old Stagecoach Inn
This historic inn began serving travelers on the old Portage-Columbiana stage road (now Tallmadge Road) in 1832. Two major stage lines, one from Cleveland to Wellsville (the closest Ohio River port) and the other from Cleveland to Pittsburgh, passed through Palmyra in the early 1800s. Originally a simple two-story Greek Revival-style building, it had its third story added in 1888 when it became a lodge for the Knights of Pythias fraternal organization. It served as a private residence and store for most of the 20th century. The Palmyra Center Hotel was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
Historic Palmyra Center
New Englanders settled the Palmyra area in 1799, and Palmyra Township was established in 1810. Though part of the original Connecticut Western Reserve, Palmyra's cultural background was influenced largely by Welsh immigrants, who began arriving circa 1830. These farmers found a rare cash market for their produce at the inn. Later Welsh immigrants worked in the coal mines that dotted the area from the 1870s until the 1920s. For many years the annual May Fair
Erected 2002 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, The Doug Rice Family, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 3-67.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1832.
Location. 41° 5.941′ N, 81° 3.08′ W. Marker is in Palmyra, Ohio, in Portage County. Marker is at the intersection of Tallmadge Road and Deerfield Windham Road (Ohio Route 225), on the right when traveling west on Tallmadge Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Diamond OH 44412, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Newton Falls Covered Bridge (approx. 7.4 miles away); Rehabilitation of the Newtown Falls Covered Bridge (approx. 7.4 miles away); Atwater Coal Company Mine Disaster (approx. 7˝ miles away); Settled by Alexander and Sarah Sutherland / Newton Township Duck Creek Settlement (approx. 7.6 miles away); Benjamin Tappan, Jr. (approx. 8.2 miles away); Deer Creek Quaker Cemetery (approx. 9.9 miles away); Ephraim Root (approx. 10 miles away); Rootstown (approx. 10 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on May 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 19, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,274 times since then and 197 times this year. Last updated on May 6, 2021, by Robert Baughman of Bellefontaine, Ohio. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 19, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.