Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bellefontaine in Logan County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Canby Building

 
 
The Canby Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, May 6, 2021
1. The Canby Building Marker
Inscription.  Erected in 1912 by Edward Canby of Dayton, Ohio. It’s developers intended the building to be very modern, and a high-class structure for businesses. The Canby, as it was referred to, was originally occupied by Morris & Palmer Dry Goods on the first floor. The second floor was occupied by Buckeye Cement Company. The third floor was home to an operations terminal of the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago, and St. Louis Railroad until 1939. At the time, the Canby was known as the handsomest building between Cincinnati and Cleveland.
 
Erected 2021 by Citizens Federal Savings and Loan.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & Commerce.
 
Location. 40° 21.593′ N, 83° 45.602′ W. Marker is in Bellefontaine, Ohio, in Logan County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main (U.S. 68) and Chillicothe Avenue (County Route 10), on the right when traveling south on South Main. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 144 S Main Street, Bellefontaine OH 43311, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker.
The Canby Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By TeamOHE, May 13, 2022
2. The Canby Building
Click or scan to see
this page online
The Shirk’s Logan Tire Co. (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Concrete Street in America (within shouting distance of this marker); Bartholomew founded the Buckeye Portland Cement Co. (within shouting distance of this marker); Bartholomew utilized a small laboratory (within shouting distance of this marker); George Bartholomew (within shouting distance of this marker); Portland Cement (within shouting distance of this marker); Bartholomew's Concrete (within shouting distance of this marker); Bartholomew convinced the City of Bellefontaine (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bellefontaine.
 
The Canby Building Postcard image. Click for full size.
3. The Canby Building Postcard
c. 1915 the Canby Building, Bellefontaine, Ohio
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 23, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 6, 2021, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 81 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on May 6, 2021, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio.   2. submitted on May 16, 2022, by TeamOHE of Napoleon, Ohio.   3. submitted on May 6, 2021, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=172700

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jun. 29, 2022