The Parish School
Saint Paul's Lutheran Church
On August 18, 1887, it was decided to authorize the trustees to purchase one acre of land for a school site. Mr. Herman Westenfeld taught this school from 1887, when the school was built, to 1890. Mr. William Freytag taught the school from 1890 until 1915. When Mr. Freytag resigned because of diminishing strength, his son, William Freytag, Jr., of Detroit was called to teach the school.
In 1918 a change was made in the school system. From that time on the pastor took charge of the school by giving religious instruction during the months of May, June and July. Thus the regular parochial school was a thing of the past, but since the instruction, was now confined to religion very effective work could still be done.
At first the school work was done in the German language only, but in time it was found necessary to begin instruction in English also. In 1939 the first children were confirmed in English. German instruction was offered to those who desired it for a number
In 1940 when the Napoleon Public Schools extended their school term from 8 to 9 months it was necessary to make another change. The religious instruction was shortened from 12 weeks to 8 weeks. To atone for this loss of time a Sunday School was organized.
As time went on, we were in need of more Sunday School space and on
April 25, 1956, it was voted to adopt the plans of the Parish Hall. The
cornerstone of this new building was laid on October 14, 1956. The Parish
Hall is 48 by 115 feet. The upper floor seats 480 for programs or 360 for
receptions. This floor also has a church office, pastor's study, kitchen and
store room. The lower floor has 12 Sunday School classrooms (or 2 large and
medium size classrooms for summer school) and the restrooms. The
approximate cost of the building was $115,000. The Parish Hall was
dedicated on July 28, 1957.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Education. A significant historical date for this entry is April 25, 1956.
Location. 41° 24.392′ N, 84° 11.396′ W. Marker is in Napoleon, Ohio, in Henry County. Marker is on County Route 17 east of County Route Q, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Napoleon OH 43545, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Credits. This page was last revised on May 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 6, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 21 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 6, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.