Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Penn South Playground

.6 acre

 
 
Penn South Playground Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 29, 2021
1. Penn South Playground Marker
Inscription.  This playground, located on 26th Street between 8th and 9th Avenues, takes its name from Pennsylvania Station, commonly known as Penn Station. The original Penn Station was an above-ground structure designed by the eminent New York architectural firm McKim, Mead and White, and was located between 7th and 8th Avenues from 31st to 33rd Streets. Built over a span of eight years, from 1902 to 1910, Pennsylvania Station would later become an important catalyst in the city's preservation movement.

Penn Station was designed at the height of the City Beautiful movement as a gateway to the metropolis of New York City. This movement married civic function with classical design, restoring the architectural splendor that industrialization had rejected. Penn Station, which was modeled after the Baths built by Roman Emperor Caracalla, was one of the city's most beautiful, ethereal monuments. Exalted by architects and revered by the public, Penn Station "set the stamp of excellence on the city,” according to The New York Times. Its unfortunate destruction in 1965, to create a new office tower and Madison Square Garden,

Penn South Playground Marker - wide view image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 29, 2021
2. Penn South Playground Marker - wide view
The marker is visible here mounted to the fence, a bit to the right of the entrance gate.
Click or scan to see
this page online
spurred the formation of the Landmarks Preservation Commission and the passing of some of the most stringent landmark protection laws in the world.

The current Penn Station, built in 1968 on the same site, is an underground transportation hub with twenty-one tracks and 600,000 passengers traveling through it daily, making it North America's busiest station.

This playground, contained within the Penn Station South Houses, opened in 1961 bearing the same name as the housing complex. It was renamed Penn South Playground in 1989. In 1996 the playground was reconstructed and elementary school- age equipment on new safety surfacing was installed. The basketball courts were resurfaced and new painted street games were added to the pavement. Benches were sited beneath the shade of the London plane and ginkgo trees that line the park.
 
Erected by NYC Parks.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Parks & Recreational AreasRailroads & Streetcars.
 
Location. 40° 44.862′ N, 73° 59.91′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is on West 26th Street west of 8th Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New York NY 10001, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Church of Saint Eleftherios (about 500 feet

Penn Station image. Click for full size.
lantern slide image courtesy of the Univ. of Michigan Art, Architecture and Engineering Library, circa 1910
3. Penn Station
away, measured in a direct line); Church of the Holy Apostles (about 600 feet away); Bayard Rustin (1912-1987) (about 700 feet away); Chelsea WW I Memorial (about 700 feet away); Chelsea Doughboy Statue (about 700 feet away); Lamartine Place Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); P.O. David Willis Basketball Court (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gay Men's Health Crisis (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
 
Also see . . .
1. Pennsylvania Station (New York Preservation Archive Project). "The demolition of McKim, Mead & White’s Pennsylvania Station, amid public outcry, is popularly regarded as the birth of the modern preservation movement in New York City and the impetus for the Landmarks Law." (Submitted on May 10, 2021.) 

2. Pennsylvania Station (1910–1963) (Wikipedia). "Pennsylvania Station was a historic railroad station in New York City, named for the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR), its builder and original tenant. The station occupied an 8-acre (3.2 ha) plot bounded by Seventh and Eighth Avenues and 31st and 33rd Streets in Midtown Manhattan.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
As the terminal shared its name with several stations in other cities, it was sometimes called New York Pennsylvania Station, or Penn Station for short." (Submitted on May 10, 2021.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 10, 2021, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 10, 2021, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=172964

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 20, 2021