Protecting Looney's Creek (Petersburg)
Union Col. James A. Mulligan, 23rd Illinois Infantry, supervised the construction of Fort Mulligan between August and December 1863. Known locally as Fort Hill, the work protected the South Branch Valley and its Unionist residents and also served as an auxiliary depot for Federal military supplies. Fort Mulligan was constructed on the same grounds that Federal camps occupied in October 1861 and May-June 1862. Federal troops manned the fort until 1864.
An earthen fortification, Fort Mulligan's walls were lined with timber for additional strength. Abatis (trees felled so that their branches faced outward) outside walls helped defend the fort against attacking infantrymen. The fort had at least three entrances and seven artillery emplacements. Four bombproofs (earthen shelters) within the forts protected arms, artillery shells, and gunpowder from bombardments.
Union Col. Joseph Thoburn ordered the evacuation of Fort Mulligan on January 31, 1864, when Confederate Gen. Jubal A. Early's army threatened an attack. Early's men demolished the empty works. Although engagements occurred in the area for the rest of the war, the fort site
The oldest part of the Hermitage Inn, in front of you, was constructed early in the 1840s for Dr. Jacob Kenny Chambers. During the Civil War, Federal officers occupied the house, which is located close to Fort Mulligan. Since 1881, the building has been in continuous use as a hostelry. The earliest guests arrived by stagecoach from Keyser and Cumberland, Maryland. Later, the inn's carriage met the daily train from Cumberland.
Erected by West Virginia Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Civil War Trails series list. A significant historical date for this entry is January 31, 1864.
Location. 38° 59.581′ N, 79° 7.241′ W. Marker is in Petersburg, West Virginia, in Grant County. Marker is at the intersection of Virginia Avenue (West Virginia Route 55) and Bush Lane, on the right when traveling east on Virginia Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 115 Virginia Ave, Petersburg WV 26847, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Tannery in Petersburg, WV (within shouting distance of this marker); Maple Hill Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); War in Grant County
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker has replaced the linked marker which had slightly different content.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 12, 2021, by Shane Oliver of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 100 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 12, 2021, by Shane Oliver of Richmond, Virginia. 2. submitted on May 13, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker in context. • Can you help?