Brazoria in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Jane Long's Tavern
Jane Herbert Wilkinson (1798-1880) was born in Maryland and moved to Natchez, Mississippi, in 1812. There in 1815 she married physician and soldier James Long (c.1793-1822). Jane was granted land in Austin's Colony in 1827, and opened a boarding house on this site in 1832. The busy port and tavern became a popular center of Anglo political activity. Here Jane hosted a benefit for Stephen F. Austin in 1835, upon his release from Mexican prison, and a ball in October, 1836, attended by President Sam Houston and the adjourned Congress. She moved to Richmond in 1837 to operate a popular hotel there.
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9572.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Women. A significant historical year for this entry is 1832.
Location. 29° 3.375′ N, 95° 33.637′ W. Marker is in Brazoria, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker is on Old Main St., on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brazoria TX 77422, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At Old Brazoria Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Don Carlos Barrett (approx. 0.2 miles away); Brazoria Townsite (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dr. Sofie Deligath Herzog (approx. 0.2 miles away); Brazoria Bridge (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of the Home of John Austin (approx. 0.3 miles away); Masonic Oak (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named Masonic Oak (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brazoria.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 3, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Last updated on May 12, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 3, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.