The Traveling Church
In search of religious freedom, the Reverend Lewis Craig led his entire congregation of 200 Baptists and 400 other settlers from Spotsylvania County Virginia and established them here on Gilbert's Creek.
This expedition, guided through the wilderness by Captain William Ellis, was the largest group of pioneers ever to enter the District of Kentucky in a single body.
Erected 1947 by National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. (Marker Number 25.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the The Colonial Dames of America, National Society of series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1781.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 37° 34.675′ N, 84° 33.506′ W. Marker was near Lancaster, Kentucky, in Garrard County. Marker was at the intersection of Lancaster Road (Kentucky Route 39) and Gilbert Creek Road (Kentucky Route 642), on the right when traveling
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named The Traveling Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Pleasant Retreat (approx. 2˝ miles away); Lancaster Civil War Memorial (approx. 2.8 miles away); Garrard County Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.1 miles away); Garrard County, 1797 (approx. 3.1 miles away); Captain William Early Buford (approx. 3.1 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 3.1 miles away); Buford-Salter House (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lancaster.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 13, 2021, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 13, 2021, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.