Young Men's Christian Association Of Beaumont
The 1901 Spindletop oil boom brought vice, corruption and inadequate housing problems to Beaumont. H. G. Behrman, a young man who was sleeping in a tent in his friend's backyard, met W. M. Lewis, state secretary of the YMCA. Through their efforts, a community meeting was held Nov. 3, 1901, and the Beaumont YMCA was organized. A board was elected, George W. Carroll was named president, and all 35 present enrolled in the association. The board authorized the purchase of a lot and erection of a structure. In 1903 a building at Pearl and Forsythe streets was completed. Among its features were 30 dormitory rooms, an 800-seat auditorium, bowling alley, and indoor swimming pool.
In 1928, General Secretary Dr. Hastings Harrison, Charles Berly, B. A. Steinhagen, J. L. C. McFaddin, Marrs McLean, W. Emmett Sampson, and other civic and religious leaders raised $316,000 to construct a modern building. Dr. Harrison was responsible for securing the first YMCA board member of the Jewish faith in the United States and for beginning the Garth Friendship Club for 200 underprivileged boys. Steinhagen in 1936 provided a building for blacks. Since 1970, to
Erected 1979 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10584.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations.
Location. 30° 5.179′ N, 94° 6.197′ W. Marker is in Beaumont, Texas, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Calder Avenue west of Willow Street (Business U.S. 90), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 934 Calder Avenue, Beaumont TX 77701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Clubhouse The Woman's Club of Beaumont (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Woman's Club of Beaumont (about 400 feet away); First United Methodist Church Of Beaumont (about 500 feet away); Young Women's Christian Association Of Beaumont (approx. 0.2 miles away); Holmes Duke House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Congregation Temple Emanuel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Westminster Presbyterian Church Of Beaumont (approx. 0.2 miles away); Enterprise-Journal (approx. Ό mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beaumont.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 14, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 93 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 14, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.