Angleton in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Holy Comforter Episcopal Church
On April 12, 1898, Rt. Rev. G. H. Kinsolving, Episcopal Bishop of the Diocese of Texas, visited Angleton to preach a sermon at the Methodist church at the invitation of an Episcopal Sunday School founded in 1897. While in Angleton, he also organized an Episcopal mission by the name of Holy Comforter and accepted two lots on which to build a church. The lots were located at the northwest corner of Chenango and Peach Streets and were donated by L. R. Bryan and F. Kiber. Holy Comforter, Angleton, became a mission in union with the Diocese of Texas in May 1898. Queen Wilhelmina of The Netherlands was asked to help with the fundraising for a church structure. She donated a dress later cut into scraps, with the scraps sold to raise money for an organ. Although the exact date of the completion of the structure in unknown, the first wedding to occur in the building was the January 1900 ceremony of Miss Eliza Kate Delaney and Dr. Samuel Maxey. Later that year, the hurricane of September 8, 1900 that also devastated Galveston destroyed the church structure, organ, altar, furniture and church records. A second building was soon completed and was
Holy Comforter Episcopal Church became a parish in 1944. Holy Comforter Episcopal School began in 1977. An endowment was formed in 1982 to assist in outreach of church-related activities and organizations. The endowment was later extended to other non-profit organizations.
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15821.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1898.
Location. 29° 9.773′ N, 95° 25.815′ W. Marker is in Angleton, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker is on South Chenango Street north of East Peach Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 227 S Chenango Street, Angleton TX 77515, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Angleton Independent School District (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sweeny Home (approx. 0.4 miles away); Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Brazoria County Ring Of Honor (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sugar Kettle (approx. 0.4 miles away); Robert J. Calder (approx. 0.4 miles away); 1895 Brazoria County Courthouse Column (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Brazos Lighthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Angleton.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 14, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 14, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.