Near Shadwell in Albemarle County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1928 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number W-203.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1735.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 38° 0.917′ N, 78° 23.933′ W. Marker was near Shadwell, Virginia, in Albemarle County. Marker was at the intersection of Richmond Road (U.S. 250) and Louisa Road (Virginia Route 22), on the right when traveling west on Richmond Road. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Charlottesville VA 22911, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Edgehill (within shouting distance "The Albemarle 26" (approx. 0.4 miles away); Shadwell, Birthplace of Thomas Jefferson (approx. 0.9 miles away); Thomas Jefferson (approx. one mile away); Marjorie S. Twohey (approx. 2.3 miles away); Southwest Mountains Rural Historic District (approx. 2.3 miles away); Horses & Mules (approx. 2.8 miles away); Slave Housing (approx. 2.9 miles away).
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker has been replaced with the linked marker.
Also see . . . Edgehill 1982 National Register of Historic Places Final Nomination. “Beautifully sited among the rolling hills of eastern Albamrle County, in view of Monticello, Edgehill was originally the home of Thomas Jefferson Randolph, favorite grandson of Thomas Jefferson. It was Randolph who served as his grandfather's executor and it was to him that Jefferson bequeathed his business and personal papers. Tne stately though conservative brick house was built in 1828 and is attributed on the basis of style and workmanship to the University of Virginia builders William B. Phillips and Malcolm F. Crawford. Standing near the house is a simple wooden dwelling that had served as the residence of Thomas Mann Randolph and his wife, Martha (Submitted on March 25, 2009.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2023. It was originally submitted on March 25, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,946 times since then and 135 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 25, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.