Near Port Gibson in Claiborne County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
The Road to Vicksburg
On the afternoon of May 3, 1863, Union Gen. U.S. Grant rode west past this intersection to Grand Gulf while Gen. John A. Logan's division turned north toward Vicksburg. Logan was in pursuit of the Confederate force that had abandoned Grand Gulf early that morning. In the early hours of May 4, Grant returned here from Grand Gulf and joined his troops near Hankinson's Ferry, where Logan had captured a raft bridge over the Big Black River, opening the road to Vicksburg.
Erected 2013 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 3, 1863.
Location. 32° 2.406′ N, 90° 57.814′ W. Marker is near Port Gibson, Mississippi, in Claiborne County. Marker is at the intersection of Ingleside Karnac Ferry Road and Shiloh Road, on the right when traveling west on Ingleside Karnac Ferry Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Gibson MS 39150, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this markerSite of the Hermitage (approx. 1.9 miles away); Skirmish at Willow Springs (approx. 4 miles away); Grant at Hankinson's Ferry (approx. 4.2 miles away); Fight for Hankinson's Ferry (approx. 4.2 miles away); Bayou Pierre Mounds (approx. 4.7 miles away); Grindstone Ford (approx. 4.7 miles away); Sunken Trace (approx. 4.9 miles away); Confederate Rifle Pits (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Gibson.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 15, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 95 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 16, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.