Montrose in Jasper County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Montrose Presbyterian Church
Organized on July 31, 1841, with eighteen members. The present church was built in 1907. The first pastor was Dr. John H. Gray. Dr. John N. Waddel, a charter member who donated the land for the church and cemetery, served as Chancellor of the University of Mississippi 1865-1874. The congregation disbanded in 1983.
Erected 2004 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education. A significant historical date for this entry is July 31, 1841.
Location. 32° 7.404′ N, 89° 14.202′ W. Marker is in Montrose, Mississippi, in Jasper County. Marker is on County Highway 20 0.2 miles west of State Highway 15, on the left when traveling west. The marker is located in front of the church on the right side of the door. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 346 County Road 20, Louin MS 39338, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Assassination of F.M.B. "Marsh" Cook (approx. 8.2 miles away); Three Chopped Way (approx. 8.2 miles away); Confederate HospitalGrierson's Raid (approx. 14.3 miles away); Newton County Blues (approx. 14.3 miles away); McElroy-Hoye House (approx. 14.4 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on May 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 16, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 16, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.