Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jacksonville in Duval County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Jacksonville, Mayport and Pablo Railroad

 
 
The Jacksonville, Mayport and Pablo Railroad Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Baker
1. The Jacksonville, Mayport and Pablo Railroad Marker
Inscription.  
On the morning of May 17, 1888, residents in the wooded communities of Old Arlington woke up to the new sounds of a chugging steam engine and the rattle of railroad cars. It was on that day the Jacksonville, Mayport and Pablo Railroad and Navigation Company – the “J.M. & P. Railroad” – began twice daily service from Arlington to Mayport and the beaches areas. The railway was chartered in 1886 by Alexander Wallace , a native of Scotland who owned a successful lumber mill in east Jacksonville and believed Mayport had the potential to become the shipping port for all of northeast Florida. As a destination point for passengers, Wallace also built the Burnside Hotel on the ocean where Hanna Park is now located.

The opening of the railroad provided the people of Jacksonville and the Arlington communities with convenient access to the beaches. Passengers from Jacksonville were brought by the steamer Kate Spencer to a dock on the St. Johns River, near where the Mathews Bridge is now located, to board the train for their ride to the beach. Stops were made in Eggleston (a station at the south end of Paine Street which was complete with a waiting

The Jacksonville, Mayport and Pablo Railroad Marker (missing) image. Click for full size.
By Brandon D Cross, May 2, 2021
2. The Jacksonville, Mayport and Pablo Railroad Marker (missing)
Click or scan to see
this page online
room), Verona, Gilmore, Cosmo, Idlewild, and Mt. Pleasant, small communities lying near and east of Arlington. Unfortunately, Wallace died unexpectedly in 1889, and his hotel burned down soon afterward. His widow sold the railroad in 1892. The new owners extended the track across the Arlington River in the Clifton area to South Jacksonville, ultimately providing 28 miles of railway to the ocean.

The rail service closed in 1895, but for a while handcars were used on the track to deliver the mail. The rails were taken up in 1900 and reportedly shipped to Cuba. The roadbed became known as the tram road and served as a footpath between the small communities. Today, much of the eastern portion of the rail bed has been incorporated into the Wonderwood Expressway.
 
Erected 2009 by Old Arlington Inc.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRailroads & Streetcars.
 
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 30° 20.007′ N, 81° 36.11′ W. Marker was in Jacksonville, Florida, in Duval County. Marker was at the intersection of Arlington Road and Marcheck Street, on the left when traveling west on Arlington Road. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 5714 Arlington Road, Jacksonville FL 32211, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
of this location. The Crossroads (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Arlington Grammar School No. 46 (about 600 feet away); Norman Silent Film Studios (approx. half a mile away); Jacksonville And The Movie Industry (approx. half a mile away); Historic Arlington Town Center Ferry Landing (approx. 0.6 miles away); Historic Floral Bluff (approx. 0.7 miles away); Frederick W. Bruce (approx. 0.7 miles away); Historic Strawberry Plantation (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jacksonville.
 
Also see . . .  Jacksonville, Mayport and Pablo Railroad. (Submitted on May 16, 2021, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 16, 2021, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 49 times since then. Photos:   1. submitted on May 23, 2021, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California.   2. submitted on May 16, 2021, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=173407

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 16, 2021