Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wolverine Lake in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Wolverine Lake

 
 
Wolverine Lake Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, May 13, 2021
1. Wolverine Lake Marker
Inscription.  Wolverine Lake was created in the 1920s through a private damming and inundation project funded by local dentist and developer Howard Stuart. A critical early step in creating the lake involved the construction of the nearby dam, which began in 1919. Built with the aid of ten teams of horses, the concrete dam is 72 feet long with 600 feet of levee fill. The dam allowed water levels to rise eight feet in the marsh surrounding Spring, Mayze, Pork Barrel, Bicking, Taylor, and Bradley Lakes, thus uniting them. Several lawsuits challenging the changes included one heard by the Michigan Supreme Court. Ultimately, however, Stuart succeeded in his real estate venture. Wolverine Lake testifies to the way humans have modified the landscape to meet their needs.
 
Erected 2006 by Michigan Historical Commission - Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L2163.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1919.
 
Location. 42° 
Wolverine Lake Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, May 13, 2021
2. Wolverine Lake Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
33.73′ N, 83° 28.825′ W. Marker is in Wolverine Lake, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker is on Glengary Road 0.2 miles west of Tampa Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Walled Lake MI 48390, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Commerce Roller Mill (approx. 2 miles away); Stonecrest (approx. 2.1 miles away); Commerce Village Burying Ground (approx. 2.1 miles away); Walled Lake (approx. 2.1 miles away); West Bloomfield Trail (approx. 2.3 miles away); An Advocate for Parks (approx. 2.4 miles away); Commerce United Methodist Congregation / Commerce United Methodist Church (approx. 2.4 miles away); Built for Fun (approx. 3˝ miles away).
 
Also see . . .  About Wolverine Lake. Excerpt:
The idea to build a dam came to Dr. Stuart one spring day in 1914 while out walking along the culvert that crossed the road where the dam is now. The culvert had filled with sand, making the water back up, and flooding the land south of the road. At that time, he thought that the six small lakes, surrounded by marsh, had possibly been a single large lake at one time.
(Submitted on May 17, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan.) 
 
East side of Wolverine Lake image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, May 13, 2021
3. East side of Wolverine Lake
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 17, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 17, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=173416

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 19, 2021