A pair of chimneys on the north and south sides balances the original house built by Fielden Lewis Hale in 1845, as a three story, thirteen-room home of federalist design.
While serving in the Confederate Army, Captain Hale sold his home to James Wilkinson in 1864 for ten thousand Confederate dollars. The Wilkinson family lived here during part of and following the War Between the States.
James Wilkinson’s daughter Mayetta married George Lafayette Carter. They, with their son James Walter, were the third and last family to live in this house.
George L. Carter added the fourth and fifth floors, renovated the house to colonial style, and covered the outside with stucco. After the death of Mayetta Carter on January 10, 1957, the county used the house for offices.
After the Carroll County offices moved, the future of the house was bleak. On February 14, 2001, an angel appeared before the County Board of Supervisors to speak of a plan to save the house. Evelyn
In honor of Mrs. Evelyn Botschen, her many helping angels, and in honor of this structure’s historical significance, the Wood’s River Chapter Virginia Society National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century places this tablet.
Erected 2006 by Wood's River Chapter, Virginia Society, National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Notable Buildings • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the The Colonial Dames XVII Century, National Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1845.
Location. 36° 45.959′ N, 80° 44.195′ W. Marker is in Hillsville, Virginia, in Carroll County. Marker is on North Main Street (U.S. 52) just north of Mill Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is mounted at eye-level, directly on the subject building, just to the left of the front entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 405 North Main Street, Hillsville VA 24343, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hillsville (here, next to this marker); Carroll County (approx. 0.7 miles away); John Carroll (approx. 1.7 miles away); Woodlawn School (approx. 5.3 miles away); Woodlawn (approx. 5.8 miles away); The Stonemans (approx. 5.8 miles away); Wythe County/ Carroll County (approx. 7.4 miles away); Carroll County / Wythe County (approx. 8.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hillsville.
Regarding Hale-Wilkinson-Carter Home. Contributing property, Hillsville Historic District, National Register of Historic Places #02000522.
Also see . . .
1. Hale-Wilkinson-Carter Home. The original home was a brick home with four chimneys made in the Federalist style. The Hales were among the wealthiest families in Carroll County which was carved out of Grayson County in 1842. The home is on the highest hill in Hillsville, Virginia and was built on the Wytheville Pike which was the only North-South route through the mountain gap at the time it was built. (Submitted on May 17, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Construction of the Hale-Wilkinson-Carter Home. It is believed that Wilkinson, an entrepreneur, operated a store out of the right side of the basement and a post office (Submitted on May 17, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 17, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 17, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.