Georgetown in Clear Creek County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Old County Courthouse, 1868
Georgetown-Silver Plume National Historic Landmark District
In 1874, the building became the “temporary” home of the county offices and court. Funds were finally secured for a new courthouse a century later, in 1975.
The building originally stood across the street on the site of today’s courthouse. The Georgetown Community Center, Ltd., raised funds to move the old structure to this location, thereby saving it from demolition. Today visitors are welcomed from the old county clerk’s cage, still in its original position in the front room.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1868.
Location. 39° 42.381′ N, 105° 41.862′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Colorado, in Clear Creek County. Marker is at the intersection Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 613 Sixth Street, Georgetown CO 80444, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John Tomay Memorial Library 1924 (within shouting distance of this marker); Masonic Temple, 1892 (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Town Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Fish Block, 1889 (within shouting distance of this marker); Commemorating the Historical Importance of the Georgetown Mining Region (within shouting distance of this marker); Monti and Guanella Building, 1867 (within shouting distance of this marker); Kneisel and Anderson Store, 1892 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cushman Block I, 1872 (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 17, 2021, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 17, 2021, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.