Alvin in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Methodist Church of Alvin
A Methodist circuit-riding minister, the Reverend Peter Nicholson, founded the First Methodist Episcopal Church in Alvin in 1881. Early worship services were held in the homes of its members and in the local railroad station. The first church building was constructed in 1886 at the intersection of Johnson and Sidnor streets on town lots deeded by Jesse and Celia Hobbs.
A brick church building replaced the original structure in 1926. The women of the church donated a pipe organ to the church the same year.
By 1955 it was determined that a larger facility was needed to serve the growing membership. A new brick church was completed in 1961 on this site, featuring a large sanctuary, bell tower, tall church steeple and a white columned entry.
The church has sponsored many community activities including scouting, preschool classes, youth activities and scholarships, out-of-town excursions for senior citizens, and several innovative social ministry programs.
The First Methodist Church of Alvin continues to serve its membership and the vicinity as it has for more than 100 years.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1881.
Location. 29° 24.536′ N, 95° 14.918′ W. Marker is in Alvin, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker is at the intersection of West South Lane and South Booth Lane, on the right when traveling east on West South Lane. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1621 S Booth Lane, Alvin TX 77511, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old City Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Cummings - Smith House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Birchfield - McCown House (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Alvin (approx. 0.9 miles away); Nolan Ryan (approx. one mile away); Confederate Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away); a different marker also named Confederate Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away); Vicinity of Oyster Creek and Chocolate Bayou (approx. 5.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alvin.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 19, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. This page has been viewed 307 times since then and 138 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 19, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.