Site of New Market Academy and New Market Polytechnic Institute
In 1869 the New Market Academy merged into the New Market Polytechnic Institute, a college under Professor Benjamin Hyde Benton and Professor Joseph Salyards. Classes continued until 1895.
Other schools housed in the New Market Polytechnic building included the Virginia Normal Music School (1875), new Market Normal Institute for Teachers (1881), several classes of public school (1895 & 1920’s), Shenandoah Lutheran Institute (1913) and Emmanuel Lutheran Church School (1921). The landmark was torn down in 1942.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1817.
Location. 38° 38.767′ N, 78° 40.298′ W. Marker is in New Market, Virginia, in Shenandoah County. Marker is on John Sevier Road just south of East Lee Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located beside
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Replica of a 19th Century Town Pump (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Paul Henkel (about 300 feet away); The Henkel House (about 300 feet away); Jackson in New Market (about 600 feet away); In Memory of General Robert E. Lee (about 600 feet away); Gen. John Sevier (about 700 feet away); Thomas Garland Jefferson (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Old Home of William F. Rupp (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Market.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 19, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 19, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.