Alvin in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Birchfield - McCown House
Built by A. J. Birchfield, first editor of Alvin "Sun", 1894. Often a storm refuge, house kept over 100 safe in famed 1900 coastal hurricane. Leading townspeople -- Greer, Carleton, Finger, and McCown families -- have owned this 12-room Victorian structure.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1972
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9530.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1894.
Location. 29° 25.248′ N, 95° 15.106′ W. Marker is in Alvin, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker can be reached from South Beauregard Street near West Lang Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 404 S Beauregard Street, Alvin TX 77511, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Presbyterian Church of Alvin (within shouting distance of this marker); Cummings - Smith House (approx. ¼ mile away); Nolan Ryan (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Methodist Church of Alvin Old City Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away); Confederate Cemetery (approx. 1½ miles away); a different marker also named Confederate Cemetery (approx. 1½ miles away); Vicinity of Oyster Creek and Chocolate Bayou (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alvin.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 21, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 20, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. This page has been viewed 428 times since then and 188 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 20, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.