Sylvan Lake in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Learning and Growing
at the Daniel Whitfield School
A booming automobile industry challenged resources.
The first Daniel Whitfield School was opened in 1852 to meet the needs of Sylvan Lake's children. Four decades later a bigger building replaced this small, one-room wooden schoolhouse. The flourishing automotive industry brought more families with children to the area. To keep pace with the demand, a new seven-room brick school was built on the site in 1927. The architect, Charles A. Fisher, not only designed modest arts and crafts style buildings but also large factories. Daniel Whitfield School at Orchard Lake and Ward Roads grew up with the car industry and continued to enrich the community until it closed in 1991.
You Auto Know
In 1852, the first school's teacher Samuel Rod was paid $18.00 per month and even worked on Saturdays.
Erected 2013 by MotorCities National Heritage Area, National Park Service.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the MotorCities National Heritage Area series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1852.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Keego Harbor MI 48320, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ordered by Mail - Sent by Rail (approx. 0.4 miles away); "X" Marks the Spot (approx. 0.4 miles away); Oakland County Boat Club (approx. half a mile away); The Great Escape (approx. half a mile away); Sylvan Lake Inn (approx. half a mile away); New Life for Children (approx. half a mile away); Remembering Historic Railways (approx. 0.6 miles away); "Body by Fisher" (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sylvan Lake.
Also see . . .
1. Daniel Whitfield School. A short history of the school on the City of Sylvan Lake's website. (Submitted on May 21, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
2. Called by the Peal of the Bell: Section 7, Daniel Whitfield School. Seven pages of history, pictures, and memories of the school on the Greater West Bloomfield Historical Society's website. (Submitted on May 21, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
The school was located approximately 0.2 miles northeast of the marker at 2000 Orchard Lake Road.
— Submitted May 21, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 21, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 21, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 168 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on May 21, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.