First United Methodist Church Of Beaumont
In 1839, Methodist Missionary Samuel A. Williams (1810-66) conducted first religious service in Beaumont, followed in 1840 by another Methodist minister, Henry Stephenson (1772-1841), organizer of first Protestant church in Texas (McMahan's Chapel near San Augustine in 1834). Early congregations met under brush arbors, in homes, and in a frame schoolhouse, and listened to sermons of itinerant riders of the "Alligator Circuit" -- as the ministry called this river and bayou region.
John Fletcher Pipkin (1809-90), a lay preacher from just across the Neches River, began holding regular worship services in Beaumont in 1852, and took up permanent residence here in 1859. During the long intervals between visits of the circuit riders, he performed marriage and funeral services for all faiths.
The schoolhouse-church building, destroyed in an 1865 hurricane, was not replaced, due to lack of money in the post-Civil War period, until 1877, when Methodists and Baptists pooled resources to erect a common church. In 1885, the Baptists relocated and sold their interest in the structure to the Methodists.
Erected 1973 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10523.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 30° 5.163′ N, 94° 6.109′ W. Marker is in Beaumont, Texas, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Calder Avenue near Willow Street (Business U.S. 90), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Beaumont TX 77701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Young Men's Christian Association Of Beaumont (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Young Women's Christian Association Of Beaumont (about 500 feet away); Westminster Presbyterian Church Of Beaumont (about 700 feet away); The Clubhouse The Woman's Club of Beaumont (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Woman's Club of Beaumont (approx. 0.2 miles away); Enterprise-Journal (approx. 0.2 miles away); Central Fire Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sanders House (approx. Ό mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beaumont.
Additional keywords. First United Methodist Church Of Beaumont
Credits. This page was last revised on May 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 22, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 88 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 22, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.