Brief Moments in Fouke History
…to the founding and early development
1888 - A group of railroad and timber investors, led by George W. Fouke, built the Texarkana, Shreveport, & Natchez (T.S. & N) Railroad. It extended south from Texarkana to Boggy Creek.
1889 - Led by James Franklin Shaw, the Seventh Day Baptist Church begun to finalize plans to locate a colony of Seventh Day Baptists somewhere south of Texarkana. The location chosen was Sec. 22, T.17, R.27W. In the spring of 1890, J.F. Shaw and fellow believer, John E. Snell, finalized the purchase of this section of land from Mr. Fouke's company. The boundaries were surveyed and they located the streets of a town they would name Fouke.
1890 - In October, Mr. Shaw and his fellow believers persuaded the U.S. government to locate a post office in the new railroad town. The government moved the post office at Fairland to Fouke. At least 12 families of approximately 50 people were living at Fouke. The Seventh Day Baptists had begun holding church services and a small one-room school had been completed.
1900 - The town had grown slowly to a population of 88 people, some of whom were not Seventh Day Baptists. A public
1906 - The population had increase to approximately 250 people. There were five stores, a railroad depot, millinery shop, corn mill, barber shop, gin, drug store, hotel, blacksmith and repair shop, planing mill, printing office with a newspaper. 51 dwellings, and a post office with two rural delivery routes.
1911 - On April 39, 2011, Fouke petitioners went on record before Miller County Judge, C.W. Kimbell, to incorporate the town of Fouke, Arkansas.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1900.
Location. 33° 15.689′ N, 93° 53.068′ W. Marker is in Fouke, Arkansas, in Miller County. Marker is on Main Street (County Road 9) just west of Snell Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 106 Main St, Fouke AR 71837, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Brief Moments in Fouke History (here, next to this marker); Confederate Records Stored at Rondo (approx. 13.7 miles away); Martha Adams Runnels
Credits. This page was last revised on May 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 23, 2021, by Jason Armstrong of Talihina, OKlahoma. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on May 23, 2021, by Jason Armstrong of Talihina, OKlahoma. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker in context • Can you help?