Westminster Presbyterian Church Of Beaumont
Presbyterian worship services were led in this area by traveling preachers until the Rev. S. F. Tenney and the Rev. W. C. Wallace organized the First Presbyterian Church of Beaumont on February 28, 1880. The Rev. Wallace served as supply preacher for the seven charter members who met in the county courthouse and a rented hall.
In 1881 this lot was purchased and a frame building erected the next year. The Rev. F. E. Robbins (1867-1918) became the first pastor in 1896. Membership increased and the frame church building was relocated in 1909. It served a local mission which became the second Presbyterian church. This sanctuary was completed in 1911.
The Central Presbyterian Church developed from First Presbyterian. The two congregations reunited on May 8, 1921, when 484 charter members under the leadership of the Rev. F. S. Henderson (1883-1936) established the Westminster Presbyterian Church.
Many Beaumont area fellowships including Amelia, Pioneer, Robbins Memorial, St. Andrews, Second, Silsbee, Sour Lake, and Vidor Presbyterian churches have begun as missions of this congregation. Fourteen ordained ministers
Erected 1979 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10580.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 30° 5.196′ N, 94° 5.979′ W. Marker is in Beaumont, Texas, in Jefferson County. Marker is on North Main Street near Elizabeth Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 530 North Main Street, Beaumont TX 77701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Young Women's Christian Association Of Beaumont (within shouting distance of this marker); Central Fire Station (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Enterprise-Journal (about 400 feet away); Sanders House (about 500 feet away); First United Methodist Church Of Beaumont (about 700 feet away); Noah Tevis (approx. 0.2 miles away); Travis Street Substation (approx. 0.2 miles away); Young Men's Christian Association Of Beaumont (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beaumont.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 23, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 23, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.