Detroit in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The First Mile of Concrete Highway
Erected by Michigan Historical Commission. (Marker Number S0123.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1909.
Location. 42° 25.256′ N, 83° 6.483′ W. Marker is in Detroit, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of Woodward Avenue and West Longwood Place, on the right when traveling south on Woodward Avenue. Located in Palmer Park along Woodward Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 910 Merrill Plaisance St, Highland Park MI 48203, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Home of the Model T (approx. 0.9 miles away); Highland Park Plant (approx. one Bishop's Residence (approx. 1.4 miles away); Michigan's First Tri-level Intersection (approx. 2 miles away); Conant Gardens (approx. 2.1 miles away); Temple No. 1 / Masjid Wali Muhammad (approx. 2.7 miles away); 100 Year Anniversary (approx. 3 miles away); Ferndale School (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Detroit.
Also see . . . April 20, 1909: The World's First Mile of Concrete Highway. Excerpt:
The year was 1909, and it was a big year in Detroit. Ty Cobb led the Detroit Tigers to a League Pennant at Bennett Park, Henry Ford introduced the Model T and J.L. Hudson was scouting out a location at Woodward and Farmer for his department store’s new location.(Submitted on May 23, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 23, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 29 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 23, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.