This establishment, donated by the family of Merritt Culp; connects the present to the past. Beginning in 1902 with the home bakery of Charlotte and Charles Culp, three generations of the Culp family provided food service to appreciative Daytonians.
When the Arcade opened in 1904, their son Howard Culp
operated a stand selling poultry, eggs, cheese and bakery
products. In 1910, Howard and his wife Myrtle bought a
lunch counter in the Arcade; their son Merritt was practically
reared there, helping his parents with deliveries. Howard
opened Culp's Cafeteria on the Fourth Street side of the
Arcade in the 1930's and Merritt continued the family
tradition until 1960.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1902.
Location. 39° 43.7′ N, 84° 11.989′ W. Marker is in Dayton, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Carillon Boulevard 0.2 miles west of South Patterson Boulevard, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1000 Carillon Blvd, Dayton OH 45409, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dayton Triangles Locker Room (a few steps
Credits. This page was last revised on May 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 23, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 23, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.