Robert Patterson, grandfather of future NCR founder John Patterson, owned several mills on his Dayton homestead. Stonemill and Sawmill Roads between Main and Brown Streets were named for Patterson's mills.
In the 1800s, water-powered mills were a common sight. Mills ground corn and wheat into flour, carded and spun wool, crushed flax into linseed oil, and sawed lumber. An abundant water supply was a boon to the small community of Dayton. By 1823, there were 50 gristmills along the Miami River, 11 in Montgomery County alone.
Overshot wheels like this one used the weight and momentum of falling water to generate the power needed to run the millworks. This building is modeled on Staley's Mill, built in 1818 in New Carlisle, Ohio.
Built in 1946 in Carillon Historical Park.
Signage funded by Warren E. and Thelma L. Snyder
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1823.
Location. 39° 43.669′ N, 84° 12.038′ W. Marker is in Moraine, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Gristmill (here, next to this marker); The Old River Park Swimming Pool Light Tower (a few steps from this marker); Marie Sturwold Aull (within shouting distance of this marker); The Marie Aull Tribute Sculpture & Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Old River Park Swimming Pool Light Tower (within shouting distance of this marker); Wright Cycle Company (within shouting distance of this marker); Deeds Barn (within shouting distance of this marker); Sugar Camp / WAVES Cabin 22 (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moraine.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 23, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 23, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.