Miami and Erie Canal Lock No. 17
Standard pay for workers building the canal was "thirty cents a day and a jigger of whiskey." A day's work stretched from sunrise to sunset.
In 1829, the Miami Canal opened between Dayton and Cincinnati. The canal was later extended north to Toledo as the Miami and Erie Canal. At 248 miles long, the canal went gradually uphill to the summit at Ft. Loramie, Ohio and then downhill to Lake Erie.
Locks were used to raise and lower boats from one elevation of land to another. Three large feeder lakes provided a fresh supply of water to the canal: Grand Lake St. Marys, Lake Loramie, and Indian Lake.
Built circa 1833 six miles north of Dayton, in what is now Huber Heights.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the The Miami & Erie Canal series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1829.
Location. 39° 43.69′ N, 84° 12.174′ W. Marker is in Moraine, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from Carillon Boulevard 0.2 miles west of South Patterson
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Canal Superintendent's Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Smith Covered Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Dayton Cyclery (within shouting distance of this marker); James F. Dickie Family Transportation Center (within shouting distance of this marker); Morrison Iron Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Bowling Green Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); The Great 1913 Flood Exhibit Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dayton Sales (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moraine.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 23, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 23, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.