Canal Superintendent's Office
The canal was used not only for boat traffic. In 1899, a couple of elephants bathed in the canal during a street carnival in downtown Dayton.
This building served as the office for the toll collector and the superintendent of the Southern Divison of the Miami and Erie Canal. Fees for shipping and passenger travel were paid to the toll collector. The superintendent directed canal maintenance and enforced regulations.
Canal construction began in 1825. In 1829, the first boat arrived in Dayton from Cincinnati. The canal played an important role in Dayton's growth. In the first 10 years of its operation, the population more than doubled, businesses flourished, and farmers found new markets for their goods.
Built in 1895 along the canal, now Patterson Boulevard, in downtown Dayton.
Signage funded by Warren E. and Thelma L. Snyder
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the The Miami & Erie Canal series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1899.
Location. 39° 43.695′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Miami and Erie Canal Lock No. 17 (within shouting distance of this marker); James F. Dickie Family Transportation Center (within shouting distance of this marker); Morrison Iron Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Dayton Cyclery (within shouting distance of this marker); Smith Covered Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Bowling Green Depot (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Great 1913 Flood Exhibit Building (about 400 feet away); Dayton Sales (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moraine.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 23, 2021, by TeamOHE of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 65 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 23, 2021, by TeamOHE of Napoleon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.