Wartburg in Morgan County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Morgan County Courthouse
Built in 1904, Morgan County's iconic courthouse and square anchor the community's central business district. The tower houses a 900-pound bell and four-sided clock with four-foot hands. The only other clock of its kind resides in the Smithsonian Institute.
All 3 plates have the same text but different historic photos
Erected by Morgan County Genealogical and Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1904.
Location. 36° 6.319′ N, 84° 35.865′ W. Marker is in Wartburg, Tennessee, in Morgan County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Main Street and North Kingston Street. There are 3 plates each located near the old entrance doors on the south, east and west walls of the Morgan County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 415 North Kingston Street, Wartburg TN 37887, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Morgan County World War II Memorial (here, next to this marker); Morgan County Korean War Memorial (here, Morgan County World War I Memorial (here, next to this marker); George Frederick Gerding (here, next to this marker); Morgan County Vietnam War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Morgan County All Wars Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Wartburg in the War (within shouting distance of this marker); Dixie Lee (approx. 11˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wartburg.
Also see . . . Morgan County, Tennessee.
Morgan County was formed in 1817 from portions of Anderson and Roane counties. It was named in honor of Daniel Morgan (1736–1802), an American Revolutionary War officer who commanded the troops that defeated the British at the Battle of Cowpens, and who later served as a U.S. congressman from Virginia. The county had been part of lands relinquished by the Cherokee with the signing of the Third Treaty of Tellico in 1805. The original county seat was Montgomery until 1870, when it was moved to Wartburg. Source: Wikipedia(Submitted on May 24, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 24, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.