Corliss Engine Building
Built in 1902 for NCR, components of this 210-ton Corliss Engine were pulled from Dayton's freight yards to the NCR factory by five teams of horses.
This is one of the two steam-powered Corliss Engines NCR used from 1902 to 1948. The engines generated electricity for NCR's 27 factory buildings.
NCR's Corliss Engines also supplied electricity to downtown Dayton following the disastrous 1913 Flood that killed more than 360 people across the Miami Valley.
The yellow sandstone bricks and large windows of this building represent the look of the former NCR factory buildings.
Built in 1949 in Carillon Historical Park.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1902.
Location. 39° 43.694′ N, 84° 12.068′ W. Marker is in Dayton, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from Carillon Boulevard, 0.2 miles west of South Patterson Boulevard, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dayton OH 45439, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. United States Naval Computing Machine Laboratory (a few steps from this marker); Sugar Camp / WAVES Cabin 22
Credits. This page was last revised on May 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 23, 2021, by TeamOHE of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 95 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 23, 2021, by TeamOHE of Napoleon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.