To make the wood siding look like stone, a popular treatment was to cut vertical grooves into the boards and add sand to the paint.
Though there is no record that he ever lived in this Greek Revival-style house, George Newcom, an early Dayton settler and tavern owner, owned the land on which it was built.
Greek Revival architecture was popular in America from about 1825 to 1860. Americans identified with Greece as the birthplace of democracy and with Greece's own struggle for independence in the 1820s. The style can also be seen in Dayton's Old Court House, which was completed in 1850.
Built circa 1841 on Sherman Street in East Dayton.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1825.
Location. 39° 43.699′ N, 84° 12.026′ W. Marker is in Dayton, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from Carillon Boulevard 0.2 miles west of South Patterson Boulevard, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1000 Carillon Blvd, Dayton OH 45409, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Credits. This page was last revised on May 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 24, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 24, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.