Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Brussels in Door County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Brussels Cemetery Grotto

 
 
The Brussels Cemetery Grotto Marker image. Click for full size.
By Fitzie Heimdahl
1. The Brussels Cemetery Grotto Marker
Inscription.  The Belgium Immigrants who settled in this region, beginning in the 1850s, built many churches and roadside chapels, reflecting the value of their catholic faith. Brussels and its surrounding communities form the largest Belgium settlement in North America. The first mass at St. Francis Xavier was in 1878. In 1909, a new brick church was constructed. Fr. Jerome Gloudemans, a Dutch Norbertine priest, was named pastor of St. Francis Xavier in 1919, serving for 31 years. Fr. Gloudemans, as a devotion to the Blessed Mother, designed and built a rock structure resembling a freestanding cave, topped by a large crucifixion scene. The grotto was built with field stones selected for their beauty by local parishioners. The Brussels Grotto includes similar features of the natural Grotto of our Lady of Lourdes in France, including statues of the Blessed Mother and St. Bernadette Sourbrious, a cave like setting and flowing water. The Grotto was dedicated on October 29, 1935. Fr. Gloudemans, wanted to be buried among his faithful and built a crypt within the grotto. He died at the age of 80, and was called back to De Pere, WI to be buried with his Norbertine
The Brussels Cemetery Grotto image. Click for full size.
By Fitzie Heimdahl
2. The Brussels Cemetery Grotto
Click or scan to see
this page online
Brothers.
 
Erected 2020 by Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 592.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is October 29, 1935.
 
Location. 44° 44.947′ N, 87° 37.279′ W. Marker is in Brussels, Wisconsin, in Door County. Marker is on Cemetery Road near County Road C. Located on St. Francis & St. Mary Parish Grounds. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9716 Cemetery Rd, Brussels WI 54204, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Belgian Settlement in Wisconsin (approx. 2.4 miles away); Historic Euroamerican Settlement of the Door Peninsula (approx. 2˝ miles away); Transportation Archaeology on the WIS 57 Project (approx. 2˝ miles away); The WIS 57 Reconstruction Project in Brown, Kewaunee, and Door Counties (approx. 2˝ miles away); Namur and the Norbertine Fathers: Community, Education, and Religion among Belgian-Americans (approx. 2˝ miles away); Architecture and History in the WIS 57 Project Area (approx. 2˝ miles away); The Fire of 1871 and Williamsonville: A 19th Century Euroamerican Settlement in Door County
The Brussels Cemetery Grotto Marker image. Click for full size.
By Fitzie Heimdahl
3. The Brussels Cemetery Grotto Marker
(approx. 2˝ miles away); After the Fire: The Vandermissen Brickworks Site (approx. 2˝ miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 25, 2021, by Fitzie Heimdahl of Eau Claire, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 628 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 25, 2021, by Fitzie Heimdahl of Eau Claire, Wisconsin. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • • Can you help?

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=173884

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 18, 2021