Melrose in Putnam County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Trinity Episcopal Church
In 1881, the Rev. Mr. Franklin of St. John's Episcopal Chapel in Earleton led the service that began Trinity Church. The congregants met fortnightly in a member's home. When the congregation grew to 9 families, members organized a Ladies' Aid Society and Sunday school. The congregation purchased land and made plans to build a church facing Bellamy Road, the first federal highway in Florida. In 1885, Bishop John Freeman Young organized Trinity Mission. In 1885-1886, carpenter E.L. Judd used locally cut heart pine to construct this Carpenter Gothic style church, designed by Richard Upjohn, architect of New York City's Trinity Church. The walls are one board thick with battens inside and out. Simple modified scissor trusses support the roof. The Bishop's chair was purchased: a church member constructed the marching priest's chair and rererdos. The pier foundations and chimney were of brick from the nearby Campville Brick Works. The total cost for construction was $327.71. Trinity prospered as Melrose grew and by 1886, there were forty-eight baptized members.
"...the priest's words echoed off the same lovely, dark walls that
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
The freeze of 1894-95 wiped out the citrus industry and bought an economic depression to the area. Despite difficulties, Trinity continued to be active, led by Bishop Edwin Gardner Weed. In 1895, Mr. Judd added a transept to the north end of the chapel. Stained glass lancet windows, shipped from England via Lake Santa Fe on the Alert steamboat, were added in 1915. The window behind the altar was installed in 1926. Boy Scout Troop 109 was formed in the 1920s. To encourage attendance, boys could come to meetings even if they had no shoes. In 1938-39, under the Rev. Mr. Fred G. Yerkes, Archdeacon of the Diocese of Florida, the church acquired additional property and the Scouts constructed a Scout Hut, later used as the Melrose Library. In 1948, a Camp Blanding chapel building was moved onto church property, and served as the parish house. It burned down in 1985. The replacement, Yerkes Hall, was completed in 1986. In 1987, to install a 1936 Moller organ originally from St. James Episcopal Church in Leesburg, the chimney was removed and a loft built for the pipes. The Gano-Norton building was constructed in 1996. Trinity Mission called its first full time priest in 2008 and became a parish in 2010.
Erected 2020 by Historic
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1881.
Location. 29° 42.591′ N, 82° 2.935′ W. Marker is in Melrose, Florida, in Putnam County. Marker is on Florida Route 26 just west of Grove Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 204 Southeast State Road 26, Melrose FL 32666, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Melrose (within shouting distance of this marker); Melrose World War II Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Melrose World War I Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Melrose Civil War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Melrose United Methodist Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Melrose Woman's Club (approx. 0.2 miles away); Melrose High School (approx. 0.3 miles away); Melrose Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Melrose.
Also see . . . Trinity Episcopal Church (Melrose, Florida). Wikipedia entry (Submitted on August 26, 2023, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2023. It was originally submitted on May 26, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 98 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 26, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.