Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Holcomb in Grenada County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Elliot Mission

 
 
Elliot Mission Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 23, 2021
1. Elliot Mission Marker
Inscription.  Organized here in 1818 by the Rev. Cyrus Kingsbury. The 1st in a series of 13 missions for the education of the Choctaws into western culture, it was closed in 1832 due to removal of many Choctaws to Oklahoma.
 
Erected 1987 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationNative Americans. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1818.
 
Location. 33° 44.363′ N, 89° 58.176′ W. Marker is near Holcomb, Mississippi, in Grenada County. Marker is at the intersection of Dubard Road (Mississippi Route 35) and Blanch Road, on the right when traveling south on Dubard Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Holcomb MS 38940, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mississippi John Hurt (approx. 8.2 miles away); a different marker also named "Mississippi" John Hurt (approx. 8.8 miles away); Grenada Fort (approx. 9 miles
Elliot Mission Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 23, 2021
2. Elliot Mission Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
away); Odd Fellows/Confederate Cemetery (approx. 9.4 miles away); Grenada (approx. 9˝ miles away); Magic Slim (approx. 9.6 miles away); Belle Flower M.B. Church (approx. 9.8 miles away); Edward C. Walthall (approx. 9.9 miles away).
 
Regarding Elliot Mission. The station was named "Eliot" in honor of John Eliot, an English Puritan born in 1604 who had emigrated to America to educate the Indians of Massachusetts.

The little station grew with the arrival of more missionaries and the building of homes, a church and a school. A doctor, a carpenter and blacksmith also arrived and a blacksmith shop, granary and other buildings were erected, and soon furniture, wagons and all kinds of agricultural implements were made at the mission.


For more than 20 years, Eliot Mission was a center for Choctaw education. But in 1830, the infamous Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek began the removal of the Choctaws from their eastern lands, and by 1832 the mission had closed.
 
View south on MS-35. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 23, 2021
3. View south on MS-35.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 26, 2021, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 26, 2021, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=173979

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 16, 2021