Near Denver City in Yoakum County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Center Point School
Yoakum County was organized in 1907. By the 1920s the area around this site was rural farm and ranch land without electricity, paved roads or a railroad. Building lumber was brought by freight wagon. Several local men erected a one-room frame building near this site in 1924 to serve as a school for the widely-scattered rural families. The structure also was used for Sunday school, monthly services and Methodist and Baptist revivals. Designated as Center Point School District No. 8, it served an area of 64 square miles.
Classes ranged in size from four to more than twenty students over the years. Some walked a mile or more across open prairie to reach the school. Others rode horses, which they kept tethered behind the building. Students participated in Yoakum County Interscholastic League events in addition to their usual studies. Teachers earned $80-$100 a month to teach all grades, do janitorial work and in some cases even provide daily transportation for the students. Teachers usually boarded with local families.
Enrollment increased slightly when oil camps opened in the county in 1935. In the spring of 1939, voters
Center Point School served the educational, spiritual and social needs of the surrounding community for fifteen years. Although short-lived, its legacy remains a vital part of the history of this part of Yoakum County.
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11688.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1907.
Location. 33° 3.977′ N, 102° 53.276′ W. Marker is near Denver City, Texas, in Yoakum County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 1622 one mile north of County Highway 320, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Denver City TX 79323, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Discovery Well in the Wasson Field (approx. 4.2 miles away); Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 7.7 miles away); Yoakum County (approx. 9.1 miles away); a different marker also named Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 9.1 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on May 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 27, 2021, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 31 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 27, 2021, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.