Pearland in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Pearland and the Santa Fe Railroad
The Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe Railroad built a siding switch called "Mark Belt" near here in 1883 as part of its Houston to Alvin branch rail line. In 1893 William Zychlinski purchased 2560 acres in this area which he subdivided and platted in 1894. Included in Zychlinski's subdivision was the 273-acre townsite of Pearland.
S. M. Christensen, president of the Southern Homestead Company, contracted to develop the townsite. As part of a plan to attract settlers to the townsite Christensen planted numerous pear and other fruit trees.
In 1900 the Santa Fe Railroad built a depot nearby which soon became a gathering place for settlers to meet visitors and pick up mail and supplies. Locally produced cotton, hay, cattle, fruit and vegetables were shipped to market by railroad from the depot.
Pearland's development, delayed by the devastating storm of 1900, surged about 1910 as the Allison-Richey Suburban Gardens Co. successfully promoted the area as an agricultural wonderland with vital railroad access. Oil production, cattle ranching, and hay, rice, and fig farming sustained Pearland's growth. The railroad's importance
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9582.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1883.
Location. 29° 33.047′ N, 95° 15.412′ W. Marker is in Pearland, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker is on Liberty Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3519 Liberty Drive, Pearland TX 77581, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The 1937 Pearland High School (approx. 1.9 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Pearland (approx. 1.9 miles away); Zychlinski Park (approx. 1.9 miles away); Robert L. and Julia Martin Hunter (approx. 2 miles away); Old Settler's Cemetery (approx. 2.6 miles away); First Home and First Family (approx. 3.4 miles away); Fig Preserving Plant (approx. 3.6 miles away); Cecil and Frances Brown House (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pearland.
More about this marker. The marker is located in front of a restored train station, and sits on property just east of City of Pearland City Hall.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 27, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. This page has been viewed 96 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 27, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.