Jamestown in James City County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
By 1800, the isthmus had eroded, and the forest had been cleared for farming. In the 1800s, the Ambler and Travis families ran large plantations here. From the island’s rim, Confederate forts guarded the river channel during the Civil War.
Today, the loop road around the island affords views of the James River, the marshes, and the regenerating forest.
Erected by Colonial National Historic Park.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Colonial Era.
Location. 37° 12.391′ N, 76° 46.288′ W. Marker is in Jamestown, Virginia, in James City County. Marker is on Loop Drive, on the right when traveling east. Marker is on Jamestown Island, along the Loop Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jamestown VA 23081, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker Homes to Last (a few steps from this marker); May-Hartwell Site 1660-1699 (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Remarkable Collection 1670-1700 (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Diverse Jamestown Household 1620-1640 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jackson Home 1620s (approx. 0.2 miles away); An Upper-Class Neighborhood 1630s-1699 (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Ambler House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fences and Livestock (approx. 0.2 miles away).
More about this marker. The top of the marker contains a map of Jamestown Island with the caption “A 5-mile loop road follows the higher ground of the island. You may travel a shorter, 3-mile loop by bearing left at the first fork in the road.”
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Take a virtual tour of markers located along the Loop Drive on Jamestown Island.
Also see . . .
1. Island Loop Drive. Colonial National Historic Park from National Park Service website. (Submitted on March 27, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. Historic Jamestowne. Historic Jamestowne is the site of the first permanent English settlement in America. The site is jointly administered by APVA Preservation Virginia and the National Park Service. (Submitted on March 27, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 27, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,079 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 27, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.