Near Brownfield in Terry County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Longtime residents recall the burial of a woman, probably Mrs. W. C. Lusk, on this site in 1922 or 1923. Other burials occurred here as well, in what was then an open field on J. A. Forrester's farm. Forrester and his wife Nealie sold a two-acre plot, which became known as Forrester Cemetery, to the Union Independent School District in 1925. The first recorded burial was that of Edna Mae Edwards, an infant who was born and died on April 23, 1926. The many unmarked and children's graves reflect the harsh conditions of farm life in the early part of the century. The last recorded burial was that of Melvin Hill in 1961. The cemetery is all that remains of the community.
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12226.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
Location. 33° 3.919′ N, 102° 19.702′ W. Marker is near Brownfield, Texas, in Terry County. Marker is on County Highway 620, on the right when traveling west. The marker can be found Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brownfield TX 79316, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gomez Cemetery (approx. 7.9 miles away); City of Brownfield (approx. 8.3 miles away); Colonel B. F. Terry / Terry's Texas Rangers (approx. 8.3 miles away); Brownfield Municipal Power Plant (approx. 8.4 miles away); A.M. Brownfield Home (approx. 8.4 miles away); Terry County's First Jail (approx. 8.4 miles away); Gomez (approx. 8.4 miles away); First Baptist Church of Brownfield (approx. 8.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brownfield.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 28, 2021, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 115 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 28, 2021, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.