Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clermont in Hall County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Concord Academy / Chattahoochee High School / Clermont School House

 
 
Concord Academy / Chattahoochee High School / Clermont School House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 11, 2021
1. Concord Academy / Chattahoochee High School / Clermont School House Marker
Concord Academy • late 1880s
Chattahoochee High School • 1901
Clermont School House • 1936
Inscription.  For more than a century, this site has served many pursuing an education. The earliest known school, Concord Academy, initially began serving this community as an extension of Concord Baptist Church. In 1901, the Chattahoochee School was established offering boarding in the nearby dormitory with grades first through twelfth. The cornerstone (below) was from the original dormitory built in 1905. The last school building was constructed in 1936 as part of the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works. This brick school building housed twelve grades as the Clermont School until 1957 when North Hall High School opened. Clermont School continued as an elementary school for more than twenty years. This school bell was purchased circa 1910 serving the schools until the last school house was demolished in 1982.

The Clermont Historical Society is proud to have built this tower to house the bell as a thank you to our community.
 
Erected by Clermont Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work

Concord Academy / Chattahoochee High School / Clermont School House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 11, 2021
2. Concord Academy / Chattahoochee High School / Clermont School House Marker
(looking north • Main Street and Concord Baptist Church in background)
Click or scan to see
this page online
Churches & ReligionEducation. In addition, it is included in the Time Capsules, and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1901.
 
Location. 34° 29.104′ N, 83° 46.124′ W. Marker is in Clermont, Georgia, in Hall County. Marker can be reached from Main Street (Old Cleveland Road) (Georgia Route 254) just north of Concord Church Road, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located in memorial plaza directly across Main Street from the old Concord Church building. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clermont GA 30527, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mossy Creek and Rock Springs Campgrounds (approx. 3.3 miles away); Cleveland (approx. 7.7 miles away); White County (approx. 7.7 miles away); Old White County Courthouse (approx. 7.8 miles away); Mustering Grounds (approx. 7.8 miles away); White County's Gold (approx. 7.8 miles away); Blair Line (approx. 10.9 miles away); Site of the Home of General James Longstreet (approx. 12.2 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Reunion draws former students from Clermont
Concord Academy Memorial Plaza image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 11, 2021
3. Concord Academy Memorial Plaza
(looking northwest • Main Street in background • marker on right pedestal)
. Concord Baptist Church established a two-teacher school, Concord Academy, in the late 1880s or early 1890s. It later moved into a church house on the site where Concord’s chapel is today. About 1901, Chattahoochee Baptist Association founded Chattahoochee High School. The school started out in a two-story structure with Concord Academy Elementary School, 150 students in all. Tuition to Chattahoochee was $1 per month with an incidental fee of 10 cents. Those who had to board in a dormitory would pay $5-$6 monthly. (Submitted on May 28, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
Chattahoochee High School Cornerstone image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 11, 2021
4. Chattahoochee High School Cornerstone
Chattahoochee High School
J. F. Wood • Prin. 1905
Trustees:
T.W. Staton • Dr. J. A. Wynne • B. M. Head • T. H. Robertson • I . J. S. Head • Rev. D. S. Grindle • T. C. Miller • Rev. C. T. Brown • A. F. O’Kelly
Chattahoochee High School 1936 • WPA Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 11, 2021
5. Chattahoochee High School 1936 • WPA Marker
(adjacent marker)
1936
Chattahoochee High School
Board of Trustees
B.M. Head, Chairman
T.G. Hulsey • Robert Baker
O.V. Keith • G.L. Rudeseal
W.L. Walker, O.S.S.
John A. Cooksey, Jr., Architect
John K. Davis and Son, Contractors

Federal
Emergency Administration
of Public Works
Project No. GA. ~ 1034R
Clermont Centennial Time Capsule 1913 • 2013 • 2113 image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 11, 2021
6. Clermont Centennial Time Capsule 1913 • 2013 • 2113
(adjacent marker)
The Town of Clermont, formerly Dip, Georgia, was charted by the state of Georgia in 1913. To commemorate the centennial and the forthcoming bicentennial, we, the members of the Clermont Historical Society, place this time capsule to be opened in the year 2113.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 28, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 54 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 28, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=174077

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 13, 2021